So the Greeks got there before we did…
By Jack E. Lohman
If you are fighting to keep funding for schools, jobs or other social issues, quit wasting your time. Political money is at the core of every issue, and that comes before all else.
Every special interest wants your taxpayer dollars, and they are willing to bribe your congressmen or your state legislators to get it. Your schools will holler but not contribute cash, and the unions (including teachers’) give only 1/8th what the corporate spenders give.
Some day it’s going to hit home to the American masses, as it has to the Greeks who are now violently protesting in the streets. And within a year we’ll see the US protests escalate to violence. Few will realize why this all had to happen.
It happened in 1929 when the robber barons accumulated the majority of the nation’s wealth. And it’s happening again, this time with the help of your trusted politicians because they get a piece of the action via campaign contributions.
- Oil well safety was completely blockaded because of campaign cash. BP and others were allowed to go naked even though an emergency shutoff valve costing $500K per well was available. It would not have stopped the explosion but it would have contained the damage, but political money was hard at work.
- Coal mine safety rules were also blocked because of campaign cash, and 29 miners died as a result. More money spent on gas removal would have prevented the explosion, but profits could not be spared.
- The economy crash began in the 1980’s and continues today. First the tax breaks to the rich (Reagan), followed by the repeal of Glass-Steagall regulations (Clinton) to satisfy Fat Cat bankers, then NAFTA to satisfy Big Bucks manufacturers (more Clinton) who wanted cheap foreign labor, and then more (Bush) tax breaks to the wealthy and the diluting of financial reform (Obama).
- Over $125 million in cash bribes brought us a health care system that promises to break the bank (more Obama) but continue transferring American wealth to the insurers.
- And I can’t help but wonder: is it that our wars continue because defense industry contributions are so cherished, or that our politicians are just natural hawks? Or could we be nicer people and spend our money in America?
Isn’t political cash just great? And bipartisan too.
Our country is on a downward spiral not because of the wackos on the left or right, but because of a corrupt political system that allows politicians to accept bribes and then pass laws to benefit their bribers.
Bribes lead to spending which leads to taxes and deficits. No company could survive an employee giving away assets for cash on the side, and no country can either. Only public funding of campaigns will fix it, and at $5 per taxpayer per year it’d be a bargain. If politicians are going to be beholden to their funders, those funders must be the taxpayers.
Clean it up at the top, then we can fix it in the middle. We must get ALL congressmen to co-sign the bill at FairElectionsNow.org.
Without that, nothing will improve. Throw in the towel.
It is not the amount spent on the elections, it is who is providing the cash and who gets the returns.